Cisco Routers, NAT and DNS... going off topic a bit.

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Tue Jul 3 08:50:25 UTC 2001

Micheal,

> I beg to differ. If you want I will send you the sniffer traces...IT DOES
> NOT WORK. Do you own stock in the company? Stop wasting my time.

If I'm wasting your time, please neither read nor reply to this mail,
timewasting is not my intention.  This is a discussion group and I'm trying
to discuss.  You started the thread.  I have gained a lot from this group
and I have given a little, and I shall continue to do so.
Yes, I'd love to see some sniffer traces, as I stated you have been sparse
with detail of your actual problem.  If I wasn't genuinely interested then
I wouldn't be writing this.

> If an ALG is added then it should work. The DNS ALG just does not work.
> Cisco has admintted this to me and yes, I have an open ticket.

> I guest they did not see their customers requirement. You know the
> requirement that says something about the code working correctly....

Your original mail did not allude to any bug in the Cisco code, merely what
you seemed to think was an undesirable feature.  As I think I made it
clear, I have been discussing the requirement for DNS ALG generically and I
am very interested in any bugs found in it.  Early Cisco NAT releases had
some horrendous bugs but I was under the impression that they'd cleaned up
their act.  These bugs may affect me too at some stage and I'd like to know
up-front.  If I and others on this group hassle Cisco too then maybe
they'll up the priority one notch.

> Well, it would work if I were using another vendor's router...Is that
good
> enough?

Use another vendor's router then, that might be your best solution. I don't
own stock, if I had done then I would sold out long ago.

Marc TXK