Yahoo mail (qmail) pukes my DNS information

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jul 3 00:51:17 UTC 2001

At 10:43 PM +0200 7/2/01, Chahine M. Hamila wrote:

>  I am aware about the second server problem. I will fix it as soon as I'm
>  sure is alright with the first.

	I would suggest trying to get it fixed ASAP, as having it working
may help you muddle through as you try to fix the primary nameserver.

>  For a reason that escapes me, mail started working this morning from
>  every source. Maybe it was a propagation problem? Anyway, it's not an
>  issue anymore.

	Sometimes I get answers from ns.chaham.com, and sometimes I
don't.  If this machine is unreachable, then you're depending solely
on ns4.gandi.net, which (as we know) is not answering
authoritatively, and may well be handing out only partial information
(basically, what it's got in its cache).

	This means that mail may flow or stop flowing and then maybe
start again, depending on when things time out of the cache
ns4.gandi.net, and when everything has timed out and it has to go
refresh its cache.

>  Now, there's the other problem which completely escapes me. I don't
>  understand what the trouble with ns.chaham.com. I mean, when testing it,
>  it answers without problem, it resolves too... What's the problem with
>  it if there's any?

	It's hard to say.  I can't get any zone transfers from it.
Indeed, it would appear that this server doesn't handle DNS via TCP
at all -- either you've blocked TCP at the firewall, or you're
running something like tinydns from the djbdns package, which by
default does not support the use of DNS over TCP.

	Either way, all I can do is look at the information about the
zone according to ns.chaham.com and ns4.gandi.net, and compare that
to the .com gTLD nameservers, and see if there is a delegation error.
Other than the obvious lame delegation on ns4.gandi.net, I don't see
any obvious delegation errors here.

	You need to look in your log files and see what you've got there
-- whenever there's a problem, BIND is pretty good at logging
something about it in the log files.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */