whois and basic DNS

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jul 3 00:56:11 UTC 2001

At 8:34 PM +0000 7/2/01, Sam Adams wrote:

>  this must be some advanced whois client. neither the Solaris 2.6
>  /bin/whois nor GNU OSF's jwhois understands an address with an "@",
>  like, foo.com at whois.networksolutions.com.

	In those circumstances, most whois clients also understand the
"-h" option, which you can use like so:

		% whois -h whois.networksolutions.com example.com

>>  Your ISP can set up a zone for foo.com in their DNS servers, just like
>>  they today have a zone like ntl.com, rr.com, mediaone.net, etc.

	They can, but if they are rr.com or mediaone.net, my guess is
that they won't.  These kinds of companies typically cater to the
lowest-common-denominator residential customer, and aren't interested
or able to provide more advanced services, such as maintaining a
domain on your behalf.

	Indeed, allowing them to maintain the domain for you may cause
problems in the future (what if you want to change ISPs, or they get
bought, or they go bankrupt?), and if they are unresponsive, then
you're just plain screwed.

>  I've 3rd edition of this book. Mostly I am just curious on how
>  this thing we use on a daily (or hourly for some) basis works.

	At that level, 3rd edition may be just fine.  However, you may
want to at least take a look at 4th edition in a technical bookstore
somewhere, just to see if there's anything new that you find
interesting.

	Good luck!

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */