load balacing

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jul 3 00:42:24 UTC 2001

At 9:54 PM +0200 7/2/01, e-o-f wrote:

>  but I permit to think that in this situation (master and slave) the
>  customers that use this two dnsses decide who use as first and second..
>  so, the second one will use only if the first one is down (I presume...)

	This is not how the DNS works.  Your local server automatically
keeps track of which remote server(s) are responding with what speed
to what questions that are asked, and will automatically choose the
one that seems to be fastest at the moment.  You have absolutely no
control over this process.

	The "load balancing" is handled automatically.

>  I can't explain but what I want is two similar dnsses behind a switch with
>  only 1 ip address...
>  then random use the first or the second...
>  then, in another VLAN I can configure a slave server...
>  Sorry for my bad explain.

	This is a completely different situation, and would involve
hardware and software that is not really related to the DNS.  You
would need some sort of a layer four (L4) load balancing switch, and
it would need to be able to handle both TCP and UDP (many handle only
TCP).

	I suggest that you look at the Load Balancing Resources page at
<http://www.vegan.net/lb/> for more information.

	Oh, and once more, please don't use "NOSPAM" garbage in your
return address.  The newsgroup you posted this message to is
gatewayed to a mailing list, and having this garbage in your address
is anti-social and makes it more difficult for people to reply to you
with the kind of information you've requested.

	Moreover, all address scanning tools I know of are intelligent
enough to remove all "NOSPAM" type tags I've ever seen, so it doesn't
do any good anyway.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */