New "Split DNS" server walk-through available!

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 22:55:05 UTC 2001

Charles Bodley wrote:

> where,
> would you say, is the best walk through for split dns?

Well there are some good books.

But if you can handle manual like syntax.....

The BIND 9 manual does a good split DNS explanation early
on, and then under the view section of chapter 6 implements
what I would regard as the "common" split DNS using views.

Maybe not the easiest read in the world, but I wouldn't
recommend views to anyone who wasn't happy they had a good
grasp of the basics of DNS configuration, given that
pre-requisite the material is readily understood and put to
use (plagarised?).

Indeed I'm fairly skeptical of most peoples desire to manage
their own external DNS, I've always regarded that as
something your ISP is paid to do, especially with expensive
European bandwidth, the less coming in via your firewall the
better. My suspicion is that they like the illusion of
control, and it makes life easier (they think) if they are
no good at planning changes.

That said I have a keen desire to experiment with my own
DNS, but maybe not everyones idea of fun is setting up their
own deliberately lame servers as examples of what not to

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com