ndc options for multiple named processes

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jul 2 22:32:45 UTC 2001

In article <9hql13$5l9 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Auteria Wally Winzer Jr. <wally.winzer at ChampUSA.COM> wrote:
>The recursive ns uses a separate conf file.  My named command
>is the following:
>
>/usr/local/sbin/named -c /usr/local/etc/named.dnspri-int.conf
>
>This works as expected.  The problem is when I issue the ndc
>command I want it to read the dnspri-int.conf file (recursive), and
>not the named.conf (delegated).  I issue this command:
>
>ndc -c /usr/local/etc/ndc.d/ndc1 -t restart

Instead of "restart", use "exec".

What "restart" does is send a "stop" command and then executes "named".
The problem is that it doesn't know what command-line options you gave to
the original named process, so it can't supply them to the new process.
The new process runs with default options, so it looks at the wrong
named.conf file.

The "exec" operation tells the existing named process to call execv() to
restart itself.  It still has a pointer to its original arguments, so it
can pass them on to the new instance.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA