max-ncache-ttl

Forrest Aldrich forrie at navipath.com
Mon Jul 2 19:42:29 UTC 2001

Reading pg. 294 (Chapter 10) of the 4th edition BIND nutshell book, it
explains how it might be prudent to set the max-ncache-ttl variable to
something like 3600 (1hr).

However, I wonder what the performance tradeoff might be, on a server that
you want a rich cache buildup to be created (for maximizing internal use).

We've only run into 2 incidents where we needed to stop/restart the server
due to an older record being cached.   Would be nice if there were some
other way to poke the DNS server to drop a record(?).

Just curious, thanks.

_F