resolv.conf

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Mon Jul 2 17:35:23 UTC 2001

Paul Vixie wrote:

> > FreeBSD "man resolv.conf" makes no mention of options timeout:xx
> > and retry:xx.
>
> that resolver is way out of date, then.

	Or the man page is. :)

> > Is there any way to set them from the named perspective?
>
> it depends.  named doesn't use the ones in resolv.conf, no matter whether
> the system's resolver supports them or not.  named manages its own timeouts.
> however, if you link your apps against the latest BIND resolver then they
> will start parsing the new options even if the system shared library's
> resolver doesn't understand them.

	We use BIND for the system resolver stuff, and FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE used
BIND 8.2.3. I'm not 100% sure whether the options in question are supported
or not, but I will check with the guy who handles the vendor import for
BIND and find out if we need to get the man page updated.

Doug
--
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough.