DNS tools for debugging named.conf

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jul 2 16:34:54 UTC 2001

At 11:59 AM -0400 7/2/01, Fabiola Caceres wrote:

>  I have been searching the mailing lists for a tool that look for syntax
>  errors in the named.conf file. I'm running bind 8.2.3
>  So far I have only found tools that parse the zone files.
>  If someone knows about a good tool(s) to parse the named.conf for syntax
>  errors please let mee know where I can get it from.

	The best tools come with the BIND 9 distributions.  Look for
named-checkconf and named-checkzone (which will respectively check an
/etc/named.conf file or a DNS zone file).  These programs use the
very same routines to validate your files that BIND 9 uses when
BIND 9 should have no problem loading them.

	All other DNS tools I know of unfortunately require that the
nameserver in question already be up and operational, and properly
located within the delegation structure of the DNS.

	If you have found some that will work on standard configuration
and zone files without requiring that they be currently loaded and
running somewhere, I'd love to hear about them.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */