problems with .rhosts

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jul 2 13:15:17 UTC 2001

>>>>> "nuallain" == nuallain  <snyderslake at yahoo.com> writes:

    nuallain> I use .rhosts for remote backups in my network.  I seem
    nuallain> to be having trouble with multi-homed machines.  For
    nuallain> some reason, which I don't understand, any of the IP's
    nuallain> or resolved domain names is being seen by the backup
    nuallain> server.  I then have to add the other IP's (other than
    nuallain> the main IP) and/or domain names.

First of all you should not be using anything as dangerously insecure
as the Berkeley r- protocols (rsh/rlogin/rexec). Use SSH. Secondly, if
you configure the DNS properly for these multi-homed hosts, everything
would just work. All you have to so is arrange that reverse lookups of
the multi-homed host's addresses all return the same name (as they
should do). Forward lookups of that name should return all the
addresses of the multi-homed host.