Problem with NS defaul name [ Bind 8.2.3-REL ]

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jan 31 22:12:14 UTC 2001

    Pablo> Is it well that the NSLOOKUP reports my default DNS name as:
    Pablo> Default Server: ns.domain.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa ?

Probably not. And please try to use dig for DNS lookups. nslookup is a
very bad and confusing tool. The world would be a better place if
nslookup went away forever.

The output from nslookup indicates that the 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
zone on your server is messed up. There's a PTR record for the IP
address of your server. This points at the name "ns.domain" with no
terminating dot. So the name server silently and automatically appends
the current domain origin to that name to get a fully qualified domain
name (FQDN). So when nslookup does a reverse lookup of the server's IP
address, it gets the name ns.domain.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa returned
rather than the ns.domain reply you expected to get. Fix that PTR
record by putting a terminating dot: ie "PTR ns0.domain.". Personally,
I recommend putting FQDNs everywhere in zone files so the current
domain origin NEVER gets appended to a name.

    Pablo> I have one (1) NET card with two IPs

    Pablo> Do you need to see my conf files ?

No. But if you post the 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone file, someone will
probably show you which lines you have to fix and what needs to be put
in them. If you do post the file, please don't edit it to make it look
nice or let your mail program "format" it. What we see here should be
exactly what your name server sees when it reads the file.