bind 8.2.3

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Wed Jan 31 17:10:59 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:16:38PM +0200, Moshe Shukrun wrote:
>    I've compiled and installed bind 8.2.3, but not full install, just the
> compiled binary (named). Currently it works completely fine with 8.2.x
> libs/configs. Has any1 a reason why shouldn't I leave it this way, or I
> should do a complete 8.2.3 install? (which caused some problems to people I
> read, this is why I avoided it)

Well, for general system maintainability I'd rather not have two
versions BIND interspersed on my system. Heaven help your successor if
s/he needs to diagnose a subtle DNS problem.

Historically different versions of named and named-xfer have not
coexisted happily. At the very least I'd use the same version of them.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's