Windows 2K DC A Record Visible When Running Nslookup against domain name

Josh Littlefield joshl at cisco.com
Tue Jan 30 21:49:49 UTC 2001

Microsoft clients use SRV records to locate the directory and other W2K
Domain-related services.  They don't use the W2K Domain A records.  The
Microsoft literature indicates these are created to support LDAP clients which
don't use SRV records.  In particular, I think LDAP referrals from Active
Directory servers refer to other "Domains" rather than to specific LDAP
servers.  Therefore, a non-SRV-aware LDAP client may expect these A records when
following an LDAP referral to that domain.