Active Directory & Bind: reverse-zone handling

Jim D. Kirby jdkirby at bluebunny.com
Tue Jan 30 15:11:25 UTC 2001

We are successfully running an all BIND implementation (8.2.3) with win2K
DCs and Active Directory.  I've created the _tcp, _udp, _msdcs and _sites
zones and have given the DCs update authority on those zones.  I have
blocked them from updating the primary zone and have added static A records
for the servers.

This works, mostly, since I can edit my primary zone file manually, to my
heart's content, and with out concerns of messing up the database.  However,
I run into a small quagmire in keeping the PTR records up to date.  the DC's
need to update the reverse zone (or do they?) to keep the PTRs fresh for
their _msdcs.blah.blah zones.  But if they're dynamically updating, I
shouldn't manually update.  Hence, confusion.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the proper handling of this
situation?  I've read almost every post on this list, and have implemented
many of the best suggestions (thanks everyone), but I have not seen this
issue discussed.

I'm thinking I should just write a Perl script that takes the name and
address and uses nsupdate to do both the forward and reverse zone files at
once and forget vi completely.  Would I be reinventing the wheel to do so?

TIA,
jk