CHAOS version.bind

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 29 16:16:25 UTC 2001

    >> IN domains, I found the following line in the logging of bind
    >> (named):
    >>
    >> XX+/212.68.193.196/version.bind/TXT/CHAOS
    >>
    >> Has someone any idea why this query was sent to my DNS server?
    >> Should I be worried about it?

    Joseph> Probing for your version may be innocent, or it may be
    Joseph> seeing how you are vulnerable.  Protect yourself by
    Joseph> upgrading to BIND 8.2.3 [newly off beta] or 9.1.0.

If someone knows of a vulnerability in BIND, the chances are they'll
just try it without trying to first find out which version their
victim is running. [Not that that tells them anything anyway. People
have been known to put replace the version number with other strings.]
Script kiddies in particular do this because they usually don't have a
clue what the vulnerability is or what they're attacking. They just
blindly follow a cookbook and run a program that one of their peers
claims can penetrate something-or-other.