Syntex in text file??

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jan 29 14:47:20 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:26:08AM -0800, Daniel Curry wrote:
>   I am seeing more and more Microsoft DNS servers using
> the underscore in the host names. However with bind in the
> unix world this is not allowable.
>   My question is will the underscore syntex be available in
> the furture?

The underscore in host names is not allowed by the standards.  Not that
Microsoft cares.

Recent versions of BIND have tried to enforce standards conformance a
bit more, to prevent certain exploits.  However, if you want to loosen
it up, BIND also gives you that option.  Check out the option:

[ check-names ( master | slave | response ) ( warn | fail | ignore); ]

and the "Name Checking" section of the "named.conf" manual entry.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B