Active Directory & Bind on Unix

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 27 03:06:04 UTC 2001

BIND 8.1 supports SRV records. If you just want to maintain SRV records for
your DC's statically, I think BIND 8.1 should work fine. Just grab the
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\NETLOGON.DNS files from the DC's and paste them into
the zone file(s). Or, if you're a masochist and want to actually type in the
records, look at RFC 2782 for the SRV RR master-file format.

Since the SRV records are subject to change, normally Win2K DC's maintain their
own records through Dynamic Update, and that probably requires BIND 8.2 or
above because of some of the quirkiness of how Win2K does Dynamic Update. Note
that if you enable Dynamic Update for a zone, you can't effectively maintain
that zonefile manually any more -- now you have to do *all* updates for the
zone through Dynamic Update. For this reason, many administrators choose to
delegate Active-Directory-specific subzones and only enable those for Dynamic
Update, see http://www.nominum.com/resources/faqs/bind-faq.html#w2k. In
addition to the _msdcs subzone mentioned in that FAQ, you might also want to
create _tcp, _udp and _sites subzones.

- Kevin