W2K Forward/Reverse Zones in BIND 8

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Jan 26 15:33:29 UTC 2001

"nobody" wrote:

>Can one of the gurus tell me how to set up the zone file so that Whine2K can
>interpret the format?  Error 5774 is getting on my nerves.  After reading
>several posts in this group I created four separate master zones for the
>_msdcs,_udp,_tcp,_sites and only allow those zones DDNS update.  So of
>course now that I do not allow updates to the forward or reverse windows
>cannot rewrite the zone file (of course that is the goal of BIND users in a
>windows evnironment) and cannot put the domain adapter x.x.x.x into the zone
>in a rewritten format.  So, the question is, how do I manually insert the
>record so that it is acceptable to windows?

I am not sure what your complaint is.  It might be related to the
reply posting I sent to this newsgroup a few minutes ago.  The 5774
message states "DNS server unable to interpret format.".  This message
text is misleading.  In the cases were I have seen the message, the
"error" was that the remote DNS server did not allow the DDNS request,
and it returned a NOTIMP (4) return code.   If all you want is that
the DC "A" records get placed in DNS, then put them in manuallly.
Then ignore the 5774 message in the event log.  There are ways of
eliminating the 5774 message, but by doing so you create other problems.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov