Windows 2K DC A Record Visible When Running Nslookup against doma in name

Jim D. Kirby jdkirby at bluebunny.com
Thu Jan 25 14:20:05 UTC 2001

I've noticed this as well.  Or suspicion is it's just MS's way of taking
control of the zone.  It does not overwrite any existing A records, but we
did not want our DCs populated this way and have disabled updates to the
primary zone file.  We did create _msdcs, _tcp, _udp, and _sites subdomains
under the primary zone and allow the DCs to update those zones.  AD/Win2K
clients find their DCs from those zones.

So far so good, although we have not yet migrated this setup into our
production network.  Want to test Bind 9 first.

Jim Kirby
Wells' Dairy, Inc.
http://bluebunny.com