Microsoft Problems :-(

janl at linpro.no janl at linpro.no
Wed Jan 24 17:04:39 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> tastet:
> >This does not tell us anything about what failed and how though.
>
> There's a thread in c.p.t.domains about a DNS problem affecting Microsoft
> that was due to a screwup at MyDomains.com.  I think the article that
> blamed them came from someplace like wired.com.  The article didn't go into
> much technical detail, either, but our best guess is that cache poisoning
> was involved, which caused servers to use the mydomains.com servers instead
> of the registered servers.
>
> But if it's known that this is the problem, why is Microsoft blaming the
> normal DNS delegation authorities?

The delegations I found in DNS matches those in whois.  The 4 servers are
all unresponsive, which I failed to make clear in my previous post.  So
it looks like their own servers are cut off, and all at the same point
according to traceroute. A shared router or link?  Of course traceroute
may be filtered so that may be wrong.

Nicolai