named quits resolving certain domains

mike miller mikem at ndtel.com
Wed Jan 24 16:16:53 UTC 2001

Today I am still having the problem of not being able to resolve
domains.  I used the nslookup -debug command to obtain the following:
[root at ns1 named]# nslookup -debug triton.net
;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, 2.5.198.205.in-addr.arpa, IN, PTR)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 41603, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 3,  additional
= 3

    QUESTIONS:
        2.5.198.205.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  2.5.198.205.in-addr.arpa
        name = ns1.stellarnet.com
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  5.198.205.in-addr.arpa
        nameserver = ns.stellarnet.com
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ->  5.198.205.in-addr.arpa
        nameserver = ns1.stellarnet.com
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ->  5.198.205.in-addr.arpa
        nameserver = ns2.stellarnet.com
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
    ->  ns.stellarnet.com
        internet address = 209.74.65.10
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ->  ns1.stellarnet.com
        internet address = 205.198.5.2
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
    ->  ns2.stellarnet.com
        internet address = 209.74.65.15
        ttl = 86400 (1D)

------------
Server:  ns1.stellarnet.com
Address:  205.198.5.2

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, triton.net, IN, A)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 41604, rcode = SERVFAIL
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional
= 0

    QUESTIONS:
        triton.net, type = A, class = IN

------------
;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, triton.net.stellarnet.com, IN, A)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 41605, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional
= 0

    QUESTIONS:
        triton.net.stellarnet.com, type = A, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  stellarnet.com
        ttl = 86400 (1D)
        origin = ns.stellarnet.com
        mail addr = hostmaster.stellarnet.com
        serial = 199902043
        refresh = 10800 (3H)
        retry   = 3600 (1H)
        expire  = 604800 (1W)
        minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)

------------
*** ns1.stellarnet.com can't find triton.net: Non-existent host/domain

Why does it say triton.net.stellarnet.com when its only triton.net.  I
then did a dig on triton.net and it produced the following:
[root at ns1 named]# dig triton.net

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> triton.net
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      triton.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
triton.net.             13h10m45s IN A  209.172.0.5

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
triton.net.             1d20h57m7s IN NS  NS2.triton.net.
triton.net.             1d20h57m7s IN NS  NS1.triton.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
NS2.triton.net.         1d20h57m7s IN A  209.172.0.8
NS1.triton.net.         1d20h57m7s IN A  209.172.0.5

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: ns1.stellarnet.com to SERVER: default -- 205.198.5.2
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 24 10:15:31 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 28  rcvd: 112

Then I did another nslookup and it worked???
very confusing??

[root at ns1 named]# nslookup triton.net
Server:  ns1.stellarnet.com
Address:  205.198.5.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    triton.net