Newbies to Bind....

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Mon Jan 22 20:40:42 UTC 2001

There is no need to "uninstall" an old version of Bind prior to
installing a newer version.  This is assuming that you are installing
the new version in the same location as the old.  If the new and old
versions are in different directories, then there is a definite
possibility of confusion between the new and old versions.

Under Unix, as a general statement, there is no simple way to uninstall
software, except for identifying all of the files associated with a
single piece of software and then deleting them.  Even more important
in an uninstall process is to modify the system startup to prevent
the startup of the uninstalled software package.

Again, this is a general statement and there are Unix OS's that support
software packaging, such as RedHat RPMs, HP-UX with their Software
Distributer", and I'm sure that Sun Solaris has someting fully
equivalent.

As for uninstalling software, I would suggest that it is more common
with Unix to simply disable the software startup in the /etc/rc.conf or
/sbin/init.d rather than actually trying to remove it.  For example,
every Unix system that I have seen comes with some verion of BIND, but
startup of the named process is completely optional.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)