How to configure bind with less than a block of ip's?

Peter Rose peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 20 11:42:54 UTC 2001

Scott  -

I was in a similar situation to you, but compounded as I run a couple of
dozen virtual hosts off each ip.

As you only need one reverse record per ip, but one forward (db) record
for each host (as I understand it), in the end I talked to my co-
location provider and I carry all the forward records on my dns and they
have made the appropriate reverse entries in their zonefile for the
class C once I told them the host names for my block.

Easy!

In any case, even if you wanted to carry the reverse records for your
block (as per RFC2317)  you would still need to get your upstream ISP to
make the appropriate delegation entries in their reverse dns.

The first option works for me :-)

Peter Rose
London UK

In message <3A68FF7F.33EC5633 at hotmail.com>, Alexandra
<lanaS55nospam at hotmail.com> writes

>I'm trying to get a handle on DNS and Bind in order to run my own name
>server.
>After reading chapter 4 in the cricket book, various tutorials on the
>internet, and the ask Mr. DNS forum my mind is somewhat less tortured.
>
>My question concerns PTR records.  The example in the DNS and Bind book
>is fine and dandy if you happen to have at the very least a class C
>network at your disposal.
>Me, Joe Littlefish, on the other hand plan on only having a handful of
>IP addresses
>allocated to me by my yet to be decided upon ISP.
>So if I have the IP addresses 192.249.249.17 through 192.249.249.28 I
>can't very
>well have one file that say's:
>                     249.249.192.in-addr.arpa IN SOA bla bla bla
>Do I need to set up one file for every ip number???
>Also, how do most ISP's delagate just a portion of a block of ip's to me
>since it's not an octet.
>Trying to make sense out of RFC2317 I 'm guessing this is what the ISP
>does:
>the db record would have an A record and PTR record ie
>littlefish.com.                       A          192.249.249.17
>192.249.249.17.in-addr*    PTR**  littlefish.com
>*why isn't it 192.249.249.17.in-addr.arpa.??**What's PTR? the same as IN
>PTR?
>The ISP's in-addr.arpa file would look like this:
>249.249.192.in-addr.arpa IN SOA .......
>           17                        CNAME
>17.249.249.192.in-addr.A.domain*
>
>I left this in it's original state from RFC 2317  I don't get what
>should be appended in place of "A.domain"   would it be
>17.249.249.192.in-addr.littlefish.com????
>
>It's a bit confusing.  There's CNAMES in the rev file and PTR records in
>the forward file.
>Any help clarifying any of this would be appreciated.  My main concern
>though is
>what I need to do.  Is it as simple as me making a rev file for each of
>my ip addresses? ie
>249.249.192.17.in-addr.arpa  through 249.249.192.28.in-addr.arpa . or is
>it simpler only involving 1 rev file?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

"I don't like your fashion business mister"
  - Leonard Cohen / First We Take Manhattan