Why are all the server queryign em for a domain I do no host?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 19 22:04:20 UTC 2001

In article <94ad46$5e1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Michael Rawls <trashcan at shadowstorm.com> wrote:

>Hi There,
>  For some time (months if not years) I have been seeing DNS zone
>tranfer request from many different source IPs come to my name servers
>for a domain I do not host. Can anyome shed some light on this.  This
>happens every week. My access-list is blocking them, but I have no
>idea why the are coming to me in the first place.

You may not be hosting the domain, but it's delegated to your servers.  You
need to contact the pa.us hostmaster and tell them to remove the
delegation.

% dig goodman.sunbury.pa.us ns

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> goodman.sunbury.pa.us ns
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	goodman.sunbury.pa.us, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
goodman.sunbury.pa.us.	1W IN NS	NS1.DANCRIS.COM.
goodman.sunbury.pa.us.	1W IN NS	NS2.DANCRIS.COM.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA