Sending mail _from_ several domains using _one_ IP ???

Chris Meadors bind at clubneon.com
Fri Jan 19 18:31:11 UTC 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, paul t. breie wrote:

> I was just thinking.. It is possible to make several A-records on various
> domains pointing to one IP-adress, and then use 'host header' in IIS
> to point out which pages to load on the various domains..
>
> BUT, is there any way to send out emails from different domains without
> reverse lookup / dedicating an IP to the domain ??
>
> All help is appreciated..

We are first an ISP, but we do some virtual hosting.  I have 1 zone db
that I use for all hosted domains.  None of our customers have complained
about not being able to send mail.

I don't know of a mail server that does a reverse look-up of an IP to
verify the host.  Most just try to resolve the sending hostname to make
sure it really exists and isn't totally made up.

So as long as your domain names resolve you should be okay.

-Chris
--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg.  The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo."  The second penguin