Split View Problems.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 18 00:31:38 UTC 2001

I think what you want is "split DNS". You can accomplish this with separate
machines running different versions of the zone, or different nameserver
instances running on the same multi-homed machine (requires a later version of
BIND 8; if you don't have multiple physical interfaces on your machine you
might be able to make do by configuring a "virtual" interface), or the
"view" mechanism of BIND 9. Search the archives of this list for "split
DNS" and I'm sure you'll get a ton of hits.

One thing that *won't* work, however, is to try to cram the zone data for
"blah.com" into "internal.blah.com" or "external.blah.com"'s zone file. As you
have discovered, named detects such shenanigans and rejects the foreign data as
being "out of zone".

- Kevin