Abbreviations

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 17 21:55:36 UTC 2001

In article <9451ag$hmu at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Ron Jones <rej at idba.org> wrote:
>Hi
>I'm still having server errors.
>question do I have to use abbreviations in the dns db.files?
>such as the @ on the first line of db,idba-dns.net?
>and the blanks in the first columns of the following IN   NS
>ns1.idba-dns.net. etc.?

No, you don't have to.  You can put the domain name instead of @, and
instead of blanks you can repeat the name.  The abbreviations are just
shortcuts that you can use or not at your discretion.

However, I recommend you use them.  The more you type, the more likely you
are to mistype something.  But if you're writing a script that generates
the db files automatically, that shouldn't be an issue.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA