regd. negative caching

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 17 15:30:13 UTC 2001

In article <943fh3$qrp at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Praveen Kumar <apraveen_kum at rediffmail.com> wrote:
>	Can someone tell how negative caching
>is implemented in bind4 and bind8.
>
>	Does bind internally store in its cache of
>negative hits which will be referred to by server
>when a request comes from a client.

Yes.  They're stored similarly to other cached records, except that instead
of having resource record data, they have a flag that says that the name or
resource record doesn't exist.

>	What happens to these records when nameserver
>is restarted.

Since the cache only exists in named's virtual memory, everything in the
cache is lost when named restarts.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA