Detailed logging of dynamic updates

Treptow, Craig Treptow.Craig at principal.com
Wed Jan 17 14:40:47 UTC 2001

Hi.  We are running 8.2.2-p5 on AIX.  We do dynamic updates that are automated by sending the update command as a message via MQ Series.  Occasionally there are problems with the update where it appears some of the updates worked, while others seem to have failed.  This just happened again last night, but the last thing in the log mentioned below was logged last year.  I have this in my logging statement:

channel update_file {
file "/usr/local/named/logs/named.update" versions 5 size 1M;
print-time yes;
print-category no;
print-severity yes;
};

category update { update_file; };

With this, the log only has things such as:

20-Dec-2000 14:07:11.667 error: error processing update packet (YXRRSET) id 35498 from [162.131.2.17].62831

By the time we hear of the problem, any evidence, or clue I might have gotten from the .ixfr or .log files for the zone is lost, because the changes logged in those files have been merged with the zone file.

Is there any way to get BIND to log more detail regarding the update requests it receives, or the updates it has done?  The information stored in the .log and .ixfr files would be great to have on a more permanent basis.  I've searched through the archives, but couldn't find anything regarding this kind of detailed logging.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig Treptow
Principal Financial Group