Migration to 9.1....

Jason Richards jrichards at gci.com
Tue Jan 16 22:22:08 UTC 2001

Hey there,

I'm in the process of doing the same, but I haven't completed the process
yet.  However, I'll let you in on a few secrets that I picked up along the
way.

#1) Never compile on top of the old version (unless you have adequate
backups), because if something goes amiss, you want to be able to get back
to a working environment.

#2) query-source address * port 53 (in my bind 8.x.x config) doesn't work
the same in bind 9.0.1 (not sure about 9.1.x).  If I use the above statement
(for a slave domain) then the zone transfers time out.  However, if I change
it it query-source address <ip of valid interface> port 53, all works just
fine.  Check my other posting from a couple days ago (which I will respond
to shortly) for a more descriptive response.

#3) Some of the logging facilities have changed.  The general functionality,
as I see it, is pretty much the same, but you'll want to download the Bind 9
Administrator Reference Manual that Nominum published this month to make
sure your config files will work.  One major note, in Bind 8 the logging
statements were evaluated before the general logging made, in Bind 9 that
has changed.  The first logging statements (included errors about your
configuration) will log to a default level, and therefore not be where you
may expect them.

Good luck!
Jason