DNS & Active Directory Questions

Smith, William E., Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Tue Jan 16 20:03:31 UTC 2001

My company is currently in the process of a Windows 2000 migration.  One of
the big issues facing us is DNS and how we will implement/support it in a
W2K environment. In particular, how DNS is implemented to provide full AD
integrated support.  We are currently using QIP for our primary DNS server
and standard BIND on our secondaries.  We were hoping to avoid Windows 2000
DNS servers but it seems more & more likely we'll have to bring some up to
get the full AD integration.  I was wondering how others working on a W2K
migration are handling the DNS issues with respect to AD integration.  Are
you planning on bringing up W2K DNS servers to support your W2K domains and
then transferring that info to your BIND/3rd Party DNS while having the
current servers handle everything else.   Or do you have something else in
mind?  Generally after what hybrid designs others are looking into to
achieve full AD integration.  Any insight, etc that anyone can provide would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Smith
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
The Johns Hopkins University                    Washington DC: 240-228-5523
Applied Physics Laboratory                      MD: 443-778-5523
11100 Johns Hopkins Road                        Fax: 443-778-5727
Laurel, MD 20723-6099                           Web:
<http://www.jhuapl.edu/>