Secondary DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 15 22:15:07 UTC 2001

In article <93vlfq$i7s at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Stefan Schweizer  <sschweizer1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all
>
>I have also a Question about this.
>
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <93nf2q$fng at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
>> Jérôme Meyer <jerome.meyer at pax.ch> wrote:
>> >Could I use 'forwarders' in the named file on a SECONDARY DNS?
>>
>> The question doesn't really make sense.  A server is primary or secondary
>> for specific zones.  "forwarders" tells it what to do when a query comes in
>> for a zone that it's *not* primary or secondary for.
>>

>If i have configured a secondary for a zone (example stefan.com), but
>these servers
>are not "officially" registered in the domain as NS for this domain stefan.com.
>Would it anyway be possible that these "secondary" name servers make name
>resolution for these zone?

Servers don't care whether a domain has been delegated to them.  Delegation
is used by other servers to find the server, but a server will respond
authoritatively for any zone that it's configured as a master or slave for.

Think of registration as analogous to a listing in a phone directory.  The
directory lets people find you by name, but even if you're not listed in a
directory, the phone will answer the same way if someone dials its number.

You could use these "stealth secondaries" on your LAN by configuring your
workstations to point their queries to them.  They'll return lookups in
stefan.com out of their authoritative data, and look up anything else by
using the root servers or forwarders.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA