MX pointing to an IP address

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Mon Jan 15 17:04:49 UTC 2001

> >> Using an IP address instead of a hostname will *not* result in an =
=3D
> >error
> >> from the DNS server at load time.  Syntactically, an MX record =3D
> >pointing to
> >> an address is valid (assuming he puts in the preference level that =
he
> >> accidentally left out above), so named won't complain.  But most =
=3D
> >mailers
> >> will.

> I know.  But since named doesn't check whether the hostname in an=20
> MX record
> exists, it will not result in an error.  I was not saying that it's OK =
> do it, I was just responding to your claim that it will result in an =
error
> being logged when you load the zone into named.

That was not my claim, I think it was Jim's :-)

I was just trying to clarify that what is syntactically correct must not =
be
semantically so. Saying that 'some mailers will' (complain) does not =
really make
it clear that the record will end up meaning something totally =
different..

BTW: One *could* add A records for each host in one's network a la:

	204.5.6.7.mydomain.com. IN A 204.5.6.7

just to 'catch' (and disarm) such errors, but it would be a horrible =
thing to