forwarders and port usage

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 15 16:27:15 UTC 2001

In article <93u9ao$18v at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Hubert Tournier <hubert at free.fr> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On a machine with a firewall stack, I see packets for a UDP  port in
>the 1024-5000 range. Using lsof, I see that Bind is attached to this
>port.
>
>My question is : apart from my forwarders machines, why are other
>machines trying to send packets to this port ?
>
>From the FAQ, I read :
>>What is the 'forwarder' option in the named.conf used for?
>>The forwarder lines tell the server to forward all queries for which it
>doesn't have authoritative or cached data to another name server.
>
>Should I understand that my server will sometimes directly contact
>other DNS instead of always passing through its forwarders ?

If you have the "forward only" option set, it should never try to contact
any other nameservers than the ones in the "forwarders" option.  If you
have "forward first" set (this is the default), then if the forwarder
doesn't respond it will try to contact the normal nameservers, as if there
were no forwarders configured.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA