problem with old or stale ip when you nslookup

Alexander Ottl aottl at mpmail.net
Sun Jan 14 13:43:27 UTC 2001

peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu.invalid wrote:

> Michael Windbigler <mwin at o1.com> wrote:
>
> > Just for refernce.
>
> > The mail server is mail.lanset.com and our dns servers are ns1.o1.com (t=
> he
> > problem child) and ns2.o1.com the one with the correct information.
>
> If your problems are for mail to lanset.com (which you did fail to supply)
> the problems might be explained by the fact that nameservers for lanset.co=
> is :
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> lanset.com.             23h59m11s IN NS  ns2.slc.bfp.net.
> lanset.com.             23h59m11s IN NS  dialin.lanset.com.
>
> Maybe a chat with netsol to correct this ?

maybe have a chat with "INTERNET DOMAIN REGISTRARS" about this:
whois -h whois.crsnic.net nameserver MAIL.LANSET.COM

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Server Name: MAIL.LANSET.COM
   IP Address: 209.160.23.254
   Registrar: INTERNET DOMAIN REGISTRARS
   Whois Server: whois.registrars.com
   Referral URL: www.registrars.com

They can't just change IP addresses on their name server when that IP
address is registered with the parent domain (i.e. .com) as glue record

Also lanset.com is still delegated to
;; ANSWER SECTION:
lanset.com.             2D IN NS        DIALIN.lanset.com.
lanset.com.             2D IN NS        NS2.lanset.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
DIALIN.lanset.com.      2D IN A         209.160.23.2
NS2.lanset.com.         2D IN A         208.187.165.9

but 208.187.165.9 won't respond. And the other one has different NS
records and seemingly the new IP of mail.lanset.com which does no good
since the .com registry doesn't know about either the changed IP adress
of mail or the changed name server (ns2.slc.bfp.net.)

This kind of mess happens all the time unfortunately. There is no error
on ns1.o1.com or ns2.o1.com it appears. They are just answering
recursive queries from different sources depending on the state of their
cache. It's quite likely that the "backup" resolver has a smaller cache
as it receives less queries.

Since there are other domains also delegated to MAIL.LANSET.COM they
would also experience problems as neither the old nor the new ip address
seems to respond to DNS queries (timeout or refused)
Try  "whois -h whois.networksolutions.com server MAIL1465-HST" to see a
(partial) list of affected domains

--
Alexander Ottl
Media Professionals AG           Tel.: +49 (89) 51554-169