How to force named to write dynamic data

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 13 07:02:33 UTC 2001

I guess a concern, a priori, would be if the server crashed and the
zone files were not updated.
In fact, this seems to be a problem, at least with 8.2.2-p7 & 8.2.3-T9B.
If some dynamic updates are made, they are indeed in memory.
If I then 'kill -9' on the named process within a couple of minutes of
restarting, then any dynamic data in those couple of minutes are lost
forever.

It would seem that 'named' needs a way to save the dynamic updates to
files and when reloading, if the files are still there, merge those
changes back in, similar to what it does on a termination.
Would the IXFR files work?

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511