Internal and External DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jan 12 21:47:20 UTC 2001

The main problems I see are:

1. Maintenance. You'd have to keep your internal root in sync with the
Internet root zone.

2. Collisions. What if multiple organizations want the name "mail" or
"ftp"?

3. Inefficiency. Most resolvers will tack on a "default" domain or go
through a searchlist before querying a single-label name as is. This
wastes resources and increases query latency. It also means that your
root-zone names need to be *globally*unique*, otherwise "mail", for
instance, will get obscured by "mail.hq.example.com" for those clients
having a default domain of "hq.example.com".

- Kevin