Guess what, another DNS newbie.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 12 18:27:24 UTC 2001

In article <93nf8c$fov at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Hans de Bruin <hdebruinFIREWALL at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>Now, the last error, i can understand. It is unreachable or not
>authoritative yet. But my problem is in the first three warnings. It
>is saying (translated)
>W(arning) SOA record with individual TTL value [b-17.nl 259200 IN SOA
>ns1.unlimitedxs.net bla bla bla]
>
>What could it mean by that ? Should I worry about these warnings ?

I think they're complaining that the TTLs on your records are not the same
as the SOA MinTTL field.  Prior to BIND 8.2 this would mean that you had
given those records explicit TTLs rather than using the default that comes
from the SOA record.  But ever since BIND 8.2, the MinTTL field has been
the negative cache TTL, not the default TTL (which now comes from $TTL, and
is not visible in queries), so this warning is bogus.  The Dutch registrar
needs to update their software to deal with this.

BTW, 3 days is a pretty long TTL.

>My named.conf entry :
>zone "b-17.nl" {
>        type master;
>        file "b-17.nl";
>};
>
>And the file b-17.nl :
>;
>;
>;
>$TTL 3D
>@       IN      SOA     ns1.unlimitedxs.net. hdebruin.xs4all.nl.
>(
>                        200101122       ;
>                        8H              ;
>                        2H              ;
>                        4W              ;
>                        1D )            ;
>                NS      ns1.unlimitedxs.net.     ;
>                NS      ns2.granitecanyon.com.    ;
>                MX      10 mail.b-17.nl. ;
>                TXT     "B-17 Bomber Project"
>;
>
>localhost               A       127.0.0.1
>mail                    A       212.204.246.220
>www                     A       212.204.246.212
>

>And a very basic question, what record do I need to add if I want to
>point http://b-17.nl to http://www.b-17.nl ? I tried several options,
>but named refuses to load them.

Immediately after the MX record, add:

                 A       212.204.246.212

If you don't want redundant A records, change the line for www to:

www              CNAME   @

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA