Internal and External DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 11 18:34:04 UTC 2001

In article <93korl$gji at pub3.rc.vix.com>, MJL <no at thanks.com> wrote:
>I've been looking around the internet (probably in the wrong places) and
>haven't found an answer for this yet.
>
>We are running an internal ".com" domain on our servers.  Our external DNS
>is currently hosted by our ISP and will sometime come in house.  This
>obviously is a problem because both severs are authoritative for our domain
>so we can't make real lookups to the outside.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  Even though the servers are
authoritative for your domain, why should that prevent them from looking up
outside domains?

If you mean you can't look up the outside names in your own domain, that
should work the same as it currently does.  It doesn't matter whether the
external DNS is operated in-house or by your ISP.  All you need to do is
ensure that the internal DNS server also has entries for your public
servers.

>We are going to change our internal DNS but are unsure what to use as a
>domain extension.  I have seem people use ".lan" or ".cxm", etc.  Is there
>any sort of standard or even a most commonly used extension for this
>situation.

The most common thing I've seen is to use a subdomain, e.g. XXX.company.com
for public machines and XXX.internal.company.com for internal machines.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA