Supporting Multiple Domains

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Thu Jan 11 15:29:35 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 09:21:22AM -0600, Edmiston, Jerry wrote:
> to the x.com domain only...how can I get DNS to serach all domains fro the
> unique host name...thanks in advance...Jerry

Edit your /etc/resolv.conf, presuming this is a UNIX machine.
Add

search x.com y.com z.com

to it, removing any other lines that begin "domain" or "search".

The resolver(5) man page should be useful.

[ If it's a Windows box, it's in the DNS setting portion of your TCP/IP
  configuration. "Domain Suffix Search Order" IIRC. ]

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "Managing 4000 customer domains with BIND has been a lot like