Dynamic update not working

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 11 00:16:24 UTC 2001

gopu at hybrid.com wrote:

> Here is my named.conf for version 8.2.2-P7 of named I am running on FreeBSD
> 4.2:
>
> options {
>         directory "/etc/namedb";
> };
>
> zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.127.0.0";
>         notify no;
> };
>
> zone "kerala.hybrid.com" in {
>     type master;
>     file "db.kerala";
>     allow-update { any; };
> };
>
> zone "12.117.166.IN-ADDR.ARPA" in {
>     type master;
>     file "db.166.117.12";
>     allow-update { any; };
> };
>
> I was trying nsupdate with the following commands in a file named gopu:
> update add hari 3600 IN A 166.117.12.24

You have to fully qualify the name. "hari" is a root-zone name. Since your
server is not master for root, it would have refused it.

> update add 24.12.117.166.IN-ADDR.ARPA. 3600 PTR hari.kerala.hybrid.com.

You have to put a blank line between *each* update. Otherwise nsupdate gets
confused.

> I did leave a blank line at the end (if that would be considered by
> nsupdate) and executed "nsupdate gopu

In order to really tell whether or not nsupdate is doing what you want, I'd
recommend using the -d flag. The output is *very* verbose and cryptic, but at
least it gives you a clue what nsupdate is doing, as opposed to the silent
failure you experienced.

- Kevin