Reverse Lookup Bind 9

Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jan 10 15:11:50 UTC 2001

> OTOH, you should consider using a different tool. Dig is a much better
> choice.
It does seem to work for Dig, but I thought a PTR exists for
db.216.112.229 file which is the reverse lookup file for the 216.112.229
subnet for this LAN.

$TTL 86400;
@      IN      SOA     mail.rm-cpa.com. root.rm-cpa.com.  (
                5       ;Serial
                43200   ;Refresh in 12 Hours
                3600    ; Retry in One Hour
                2419200 ; Expire in 28 days
                86400 ) ; TTL

$ORIGIN 229.112.216.in-addr.arpa

        IN      NS      mail.rm-cpa.com.

114     IN      PTR     mail.rm-cpa.com.

> hudson doesn't seem to think it's hosting 168.192.in-addr.arpa.

That would be correct.  I don't even know why it's asking hudson which is not
on the lan and is only a backup server in etc/resolv.conf

It won't find the darn manedb running locally.

> Is there
> a zone {} clause in the named.conf telling it to load
> 168.192.in-addr.arpa? At the moment it thinks blackhole.isi.edu it the
> master nameserver.

mail.rm-cpa.com should be master for the LAN
I think it clearly has a zone for 192.168.0

When outlook tried to send mail from one of the stations1 on the lan,
it came back with a message, no delivery something or other for that address.
Since linux boxes on the Lan can negotiate without a problem, it figured
this might all be related.

It's named.conf is as follows:

options {
        directory "/usr/local/namedb";