Problem with nsupdate and journal file with Bind9

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Jan 9 14:22:05 UTC 2001

> That's what I thought and that is also the wierd part.
> I'm running bind as root since the 'named -u' option will not work for me. It
>  says:
>
> >[root at winnie misc]# named -u named
> >named: -u not supported on Linux kernels older than 2.3.99-pre3
>
> Yet, I'm running Mandrake 7.2, which I'm sure is new enough.  But I did run
> the uname command and did get the following output, so that is probably why u
> name
> does not work.;
> >root at winnie misc]# uname -a
> >inux winnie.mydomain.com 2.2.17-21mdksecure #1 SMP Thu Oct 5 12:52:38 CEST 2
> 000 i686 unknown
>
> But running named as root.... Shouldn't I be able to create a file....

	Not if root does't have permission.  Named gives up root's ability
	to write to arbitary files.  Look at the permissions again as if
	root was a ordinary user.

> I know root has the permissions.  The files are created in the directory whic
> h is
> specified in the directory option correct?

	The journal are is in the same directory as the corresponding
	master file.

	If you say 'file "/dev/foobar.db";' the journal will be
	"/dev/foobar.db.jnl".

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com