reverse lookup not working

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 8 20:55:44 UTC 2001

In article <93d6ls$eib at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Manitee  <manitee at pacifier.com> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like the reverse domain of Ipaddresshost2 isn't delegated to your
>> server.  Since you didn't tell us what the IP addresses are, it's difficult
>> to be sure.
>

>What do you mean delegated to the server? Could you explain what that means
>and how to fix it?

Just as the .COM servers have NS records telling everyone that they should
go to your server to look up names in YOURDOMAIN.COM, the y.z.IN-ADDR.ARPA
domain has to have NS records telling everyone that they should go to your
server to look up reverse entries in x.y.z.IN-ADDR.ARPA.  These NS records
in the parent domain are called "delegation records".

Remember, finding things in DNS is done by searching down the hierarchy of
names.  Delegation provides the links from one level down to the next lower
level.  Without this, how do you expect other servers on the Internet to
know that they should query your server to look things up in your reverse
domain?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA