How to keep BIND from listening on port 53/tcp

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 8 16:03:57 UTC 2001

In article <93cnf4$9g9 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Trond Endrestøl <trond at ramstind.gtf.ol.no> wrote:
>How do I keep BIND 8.2.2-P7 from listening on port 53/tcp?

Why do you want to do that?

>I have allow-transfer { none; }; in bind.conf, but BIND is still
>listening on port 53/tcp.
>
>Is the above configuration sufficient?
>
>When the above configuration is in effect, can I safely assume that
>BIND will not respond to any connections on port 53/tcp?

It will respond.  If the connection contains a query for a zone transfer,
it will respond with a "REFUSED" error code.  If it contains a normal
query, it will answer normally.

It sounds like you're assuming that TCP is only used for zone transfers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA