Secundary DNS is not authoritatively

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Jan 5 18:40:45 UTC 2001

> In article <934ro2$plm at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Baumann Reto <rbaumi at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> >I checked the log of the Secundary DNS and found the following entry:
> >29-Dec-2000 00:45:40.437 load: warning: Zone "8ball.ch" (file
> >sec/8ball.ch.hosts): multiple SOA RRs found
> >29-Dec-2000 00:45:40.438 load: warning: slave zone "8ball.ch"=20
> (IN) rejected
> >due to errors (serial 20)
> >
> >I checked my 8ball.ch DNS entry but there aren't multiple SOAs
>=20
> What happens when you do "dig 8ball.ch axfr @<primaryaddr>".  Do you =
see
> multiple SOA records with different serial numbers?  Normally there =
should
> be an SOA record at the beginning and end, and they should be =
identical.

Ahem, I think the message says that the existing backup file the
secondary loads the zone from (before attempting the xfer) has multiple
SOAs.

Maybe several secondary zone definitions try writing to the same backup =
file,
which is a no-no and can result in corrupted backup files that then
result in this error on named reload/restart.

rgds