DDNS front-ends

Scott Bertilson scott at nts.umn.edu
Thu Jan 4 19:01:45 UTC 2001

----- Forwarded message from Kevin Darcy -----

> Well, using DDNS to manage DNS is a fairly new
> concept, I don't know that there are a lot of
> implementations out there. Even the commercial DNS
> management tools (NetID, QIP, the DNS subsystem of
> Win2K) appear to use a separate database rather than
> manipulating the DNS database directly via DDNS.

In the case of QIP, the update tools (web, GUI, CLI)
can be configured to issue DDNS updates at the same
time as they update the underlying Oracle database.
This mostly works very well.  My biggest issue is that
it is sometimes necessary to get QIP to rewrite the
zone files from the database.  When it does this,
there are some conditions under which the zone serial
number doesn't get retrieved properly from "named" and
QIP will use the last known serial number from the
database.  This will be out of date if DDNS updates
have taken place and slave servers will then not
load the zone.
				Scott