A record question

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Jan 4 18:10:51 UTC 2001

At 5:53 PM +0000 1/4/01, count0 wrote:
>when i set up a zone file, I usually use A records for most of the DNS
>names; is this ok to do?
>
>i.e:
>

>domain.com.	IN  A	1.2.3.4
>www		IN  A	1.2.3.4
>ftp		IN  A	1.2.3.4
>
>is it okay to give the same machine multiple A records, or should I
>use CNAME RRs? I've been hearing some bad stuff about CNAME usage, and
>it's apparently not possible to use multiple CNAMES in BIND 9.x.

That's perfectly fine, and is, in fact, done lots of places. You may find
it better, for your own sanity to do:

domain.com	IN A 1.2.3.4
www		CNAME domain.com.
www		CNAME domain.com.

especially if your records looked like

domain.com	A 1.2.3.4
		MX 0 foo.mailhost.com.
		MX 1 bar.mailhost.com.
		TXT "Some stuff here"
		HINFO "PC" "UNIX"
		RP foo.domain.com. contact

What is now forbidden is doing what used to be called "CNAME round-robin"
where you might do:

www1		A 1.2.3.4
www2		A 1.2.3.5
www		CNAME www1
		CNAME www2

THAT is now (as I understand it) explicitly forbidden ...

HTH,
| dredd at megacity.org  | "Conan! What is best in life?"          |
|  Derek J. Balling   | "To crush your enemies, see them        |
|                     |    driven before you, and to hear the   |
|                     |    lamentation of their women!"         |