Need some help changing providers and nameservers

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Jan 3 22:58:07 UTC 2001

> We are in the process of changing providers....we have been handling our own
> dns on our own equipment - ns.blackcatsolutions.com which is assigned ip
> 216.117.40.226 and ns2.blackcatsolutions.com assigned 216.117.40.227
>
> The problem is we have one circuit....and I'm not sure how to make the
> changes to internic without affecting traffic.

	Which is why it is recommended that nameservers for a zone
	are topologically and physically in diverse locations.  In
	this way you always have a server up.

> We are not in a position to run two circuit simultaneously, and I was
> thinking that if I changed say the ns2 server to the new provider and then
> allowed that to filter through for several days so the masters are updated,
> and then switched will that not eliminate our problem?

	Send a host change notification for one of the nameservers.
	It will appear to be dead until the actual circuit and IP
	address changes occur.

	Once the circuit change has occured send a host change
	notification for the second server.

	Also lower the ttl of the records in the zone(s) prior to
	the move so that the old addresses are not cached for to long.
	You can restore the ttl after the renumbering.

> IE: Since the primary cannot be found it will automatically rollover to the
> secondary which will point everyone to the correct subnet, ip addresses etc.
>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Douglas

	Mark
--