Need some help changing providers and nameservers

Douglas W. Palme dpalme at blackcatsolutions.com
Wed Jan 3 20:07:22 UTC 2001

We are in the process of changing providers....we have been handling our own
dns on our own equipment - ns.blackcatsolutions.com which is assigned ip
216.117.40.226 and ns2.blackcatsolutions.com assigned 216.117.40.227

The problem is we have one circuit....and I'm not sure how to make the
changes to internic without affecting traffic.

We are not in a position to run two circuit simultaneously, and I was
thinking that if I changed say the ns2 server to the new provider and then
allowed that to filter through for several days so the masters are updated,
and then switched will that not eliminate our problem?

IE: Since the primary cannot be found it will automatically rollover to the
secondary which will point everyone to the correct subnet, ip addresses etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Douglas